Northwoods designs and builds interactive websites, and provides sales and integration services for our Enterprise Content Management System, Titan CMS. With 30 employees and a marquee list of clients, our mission for the past 14 years has been to offer quality website solutions nationally to B2B markets. The demand for our services is strong, and we are looking for talented web professionals to grow our team. Key to our success is the quality of our front line consultants – our Account Directors. Their role is to sustain and build our reputation for excellence.
The Account Directors at Northwoods have many roles – Information Architect, Project Manager, Account Manager, and eBusiness Analyst to name a few. We merge these roles because:
- Reducing “skills silos” results in fewer communications gaps, more efficiency, and better outcomes for clients.
- A diversity of skills in one person allows for maximum flexibility in responding to clients.
- Being really good at more than one thing is fun, empowering, and challenging.
- IA/UX work is more effective when there is a deep understanding of a client’s business.
- Project Management is more efficient when there are fewer communication points.
- Account Management is more efficient when there is an awareness of all client activity.
- These disciplines complement and inform each other.
- There is a stronger sense of control over directions and outcomes.
Successful Account Directors posses a wide variety of skills, but they do not do all the work themselves. Account Directors coordinate the work of specialists (sometimes other Account Directors), and direct the work of Account Coordinators who assist with all tasks. The key is finding balance between doing and delegating.
Responsibilities and Skill Areas
At Northwoods we have created a very free and relaxed work environment. You can do what you want with your office space, dress the way you want, and even work from home if you need to.
All employees get two monitors, the latest hardware, and free popcorn on Thursdays. No need to wear shoes around the office. The boss doesn't. We also have kids and dogs occasionally running around the office. (Yours are welcome if they don’t make too much noise.)
Need a break? Challenge your coworkers to a game of ping pong or foosball. You can even take a nap if you're dragging and just need 30 minutes of shut-eye to be productive again.
Responsibilities and Skill Areas
- Web Consulting, Business Analysis, and Digital Strategies (20-30% of your time)
- Meet with clients and understand their challenges and goals
- Provide business consulting, web consulting, and web marketing strategies
- Develop and present Digital Strategies
- Work with BDMs, sales engineers, and executives to create proposals and estimates for:
- Digital Reviews & Strategies
- Design services
- Interactive services
- Web Analytics consulting
- SEO consulting
- Usability testing
- Software engineering
- Define scope and deliverables for projects in collaboration with team members
- Learn and share with team members at Northwoods
- Information Architecture & User Experience Design (20-30% of your time)
- Lead the creation of content inventories, sitemaps, taxonomies, and content strategies
- Lead the creation of wireframes
- Guide the creative team to ensure proper execution of wireframes into comps / cutups
- Create creative briefs, personas, and guide usability testing
- Project Management (20-30% of your time)
- Ensure projects are running smoothly
- Manage budget and client expectations
- Communicate regularly with clients
- Work with Account Coordinators to complete routine PM tasks
- Create written specifications addressing features, requirements, scope, and risks
- Create project plans of varying detail and complexity
- Proactively identify issues and resolve them before they become problems
- Work with scheduling staff to secure resources for projects
- Account Management (10% of your time)
- Find ways to grow business with existing clients
- Prepare and review proposals, pitches, and presentations
- Alert sales management to accounts that need attention
- Occasionally help sell to new prospects
- Prioritize time spent on existing clients according to revenue potential.
- General (5-10%)
- Perform Titan demos for clients and prospects
- Engage in ongoing training, learning, and reading
- Attend internal meetings
- Assist sales and marketing teams in developing needed content and new strategies
- User Training and Support (5-10%)
- Teach Titan training classes from time to time at all levels (to keep fresh on Titan)
- Provide client support from time to time
- Technical Skills (not a requirement, but skills in more than one area is a major plus)
- Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver
- Balsamiq Mockup
- Visio, Powerpoint, Keynote, Notepad++
For big accounts, Account Directors may be asked to focus on one role for a period of time.
Account Coordinators work under Account Directors and assist them with all responsibilities. Account Coordinators who develop their skills can become Account Directors or take on other roles.
Account Directors don’t have to be gurus in all skill areas, but it does help to be smart and deeply enjoy continuous learning.
What do we do?
We build large web sites, develop content management products, design stunning B2 B web sites, obsess over usability and findability, and engineer half-million-dollar software systems.
Northwoods creates enterprise class web sites using our in-house team of developers, designers, information architects and project managers. We are not a staffing firm. No new cubicle every six months. No bench. You work with the same 30 really smart people day-to-day. They're (mostly) very friendly and they all like beer. Our work is never boring.
There are three things that make us better that our competitors.
- Interactive designers and front end developers who focuses on usability
- Software engineers who can build anything
- Our own enterprise Content Management System – Titan CMS
Travel is very limited and 98% in SE Wisconsin. We offer great benefits including 401(k) and competitive salaries. Northwoods is an Equal Opportunity employer.