Who we're looking for...
- You can write clean, cross-browser-compliant HTML5 & CSS3.
- You can get around in Photoshop and have an eye for design, usability & typography. Design skills are a plus.
- You attend to details.
- You like to write reusable and modular code.
- You are always learning, perfecting your craft, and striving to do more with less code.
- You follow the user experience and design trends and like to share what you learn.
- You are an innovator and enjoy collaborating in a team environment.
- Family is important to you and want to work with like-minded people.
- You believe work should be fun and you should enjoy going to work every day. (Because we do.)
What you'll be doing...
- Interacting with team members and clients to design web sites of all sizes.
- Transforming Photoshop designs into interactive HTML5 & CSS3 layouts.
- Creating interactive prototypes.
- Configuring layouts and settings in our content management system.
- Performing unit and device testing.
- Assist with sales efforts for estimates, scoping, timelines, and budget.
- Writing style guides/user manuals.
- Sharing your opinions.
- Posting funny comics on your office wall and sharing Youtube videos with co-workers.
If you've been to design school, great! If you've had software deveolopment training, great! If not, show us what you've done. If we're impressed we'll hire you. (Bill Gates never finished college.)
Roles and Responsibilities...
The following percentages will vary, but will generally be as follows:
- Mentoring (10%)
- Client Meetings (10%)
- Assist with quoting / estimating (10%)
- Consulting (10%)
- sometimes all on the same day
Northwoods employs an in-house team of developers, designers, information architects, and account managers. We are not a staffing firm. No new cubicle every six months. No bench. You work with the same 40 really smart people day-to-day. They're (mostly) very friendly and they all like beer. Our work is never boring.
Travel is very limited and 98% in SE Wisconsin. We offer great benefits including 401(k) and great salaries. We offer health, dental, long term, and short term disability insurance, paid vacation, no limit on health days, paid holidays, paid maternity/paternity leave, and free lunch on occasion. Northwoods is an Equal Opportunity employer.
Smart people doing innovative things with interesting technology – that’s what Northwoods is all about.
With a relaxed environment, fresh hot popcorn, and the obligatory ping pong and foosball tables, we enjoy the amenities expected from a cutting-edge tech company. But that’s not what makes us love our jobs – it’s the people and the work that makes Northwoods great:
- We learn something new each day. From Fortune 500 companies to industrial manufacturers to local non-profits, we work on a wide variety of projects. The diversity of our client pool and our commitment to forward-looking technologies and strategies means we’re constantly engaged and learning new things.
- We trust and value each other. Ego has no place at Northwoods (our president sits in a cubicle like the rest of us), and we don’t focus on titles. When any one of us has an idea, solution, or criticism, we know we can voice it openly and honestly – and we listen respectfully when our colleagues do the same.
- We hire people, not skillsets. We don’t just find people familiar with specific tools or technologies; we look for motivated self-starters who know how to learn and are eager to grow. We hire the best and brightest – leaders, team players, and creative problem solvers – and give everyone the opportunity to make the most of their unique talents.
- Our families come first. We have a strong work ethic and commitment to our clients, but we also have busy lives. Sometimes we work from home, sometimes we choose to work odd hours, and sometimes we bring our kids or dogs (or both!) into the office. Each of us gets to decide for ourselves what the ideal work-life balance looks like.
- We each grow in our own way. As our interests change and career goals evolve, so do our roles with our clients and within the company. We all find new boundaries to push; Northwoods gives each of us the latitude and freedom to pursue our passions and create our own career story.
We’re all driven to constantly do our best – and Northwoods provides an environment that allows us all to do exactly that.
It’s not just a career, it’s a lifestyle.